How To Get Started
How to get started
The process of selecting and applying to programs can seem overwhelming at first, but the staff of the Office of International Engagement is here to support and advise students through the process. Here are some steps to get started:
- Check out our website to explore programs and countries. Read the online program descriptions and check any linked websites carefully.
- Attend a weekly study abroad information session held during the fall and spring semesters Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m. in the Office of International Engagement.
- Check out our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and blog sites for further insight and to stay current on happenings in our office.
- Meet your academic advisor and/or department chair. Meeting with the department staff promptly to discuss course equivalencies will help you stay on track for graduation.
- Meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss program options. Send an email to the advisor responsible for the type of programs you are interested in to get the process started.
- Speak with a study abroad peer advisor. These are students who have studied abroad and volunteer to help prospective students through the process with their hard-earned experiences.
- Set goals and prioritize. Students should consider some goals they seek to accomplish – language learning, cultural integration, career preparation – and seek programs that help meet those goals.
- Start an application! Do it today!