Skip to content


Many students who participate in a study abroad program through Montclair State University will be required to obtain a visa and/or resident permit to enter and study in their host country. Visa requirements vary by country and length of stay. 

The Study Abroad Office at Montclair State University cannot advise on specific visa requirements for each country.

It is very important that you understand the visa requirements for your specific program. Therefore, you are advised to take the following steps as you apply for and make arrangements to participate in your study abroad program:

·     Go to the website for the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which you will be studying. 

·      Explore the requirements for a student visa based on your citizenship and length of stay in your host country.

·      Check with your program provider/host institution to get detailed instructions regarding requirements for your host country.

·      If a visa is required,

o Gather all requested documents, materials and information.

o Request any necessary letters or documents from the Study Abroad Office and your program provider/host institution.

o Make an appointment for an interview at the Consulate as soon as possible (if required)


Do Not Wait! Please begin exploring visa/resident permit requirements as soon as you know where you are going. While the Study Abroad Office can not advise on the specific requirements of the more than 50 countries we work with, we are available to help direct you and to provide any necessary documents related to your participation in study abroad.